Host And Hostess Career
Hosts and hostesses welcome patrons, seat them at tables or in lounge, and help ensure quality of facilities and service.
Common Work Tasks
- Welcome guests and maintain reservation or waiting lists
- Direct patrons to coatrooms, restrooms, or to a place to wait until their table is ready
- Assign guests to tables suitable for the size of their group, escort patrons to their seats, and provide menus
- Schedule dining reservations, arrange parties, and organize any special services that are required
- Inspect dining and serving areas to ensure cleanliness and proper setup.
- Speak with patrons to ensure satisfaction with food and service, and to respond to complaints
- Maintain contact with kitchen staff, management, serving staff, and customers to ensure that dining details are handled properly and customers’ concerns are addressed
- Inform patrons of establishment specialties and features
- Operate cash registers to accept payments for food and beverages
- Prepare cash receipts after establishments close, and make bank deposits
Other Job Titles
Hosts and Hostesses are also known by other titles, including:
- Waiters and Waitresses
Education, Training, and Experience
Education and Training
This occupation may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
No previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed in this occupation. Employees in this occupation need anywhere from a few days to a few months of training.
The median annual salary for hosts and hostesses is $16,000. The top 10 percent earn more than $23,000, and the lowest 10 percent earn less than $13,000. Median earnings in the industries employing the largest number of hosts and hostesses are:
- Full-Service Restaurants - $17,500
- Traveler Accommodation - $20,640
- Limited-Service Eating Places - $16,660
- Drinking Places - $18,330
- Other Amusement and Recreation Industries - $20,360
- 2006-2016 Employment growth: 10%
- Number of new jobs created 2006-2016: 37,000
- Employment 2006 : 351,000
- Employment 2016: 388,000