Political Advisors Career
Political Advisors watch the political market and advise companies as to what moves should be made.
Common Work Tasks
- Pay attention to who the company’s allies and enemies are in the local, state, and national political arenas
- Pay attention to the issues between the union and the company
- Advise the company as to what issues should be pursued, and which ones should be ignored
- Provide political advice
- Advise company members on how to influence decision makers
- Form and maintain relationships with members of local, state and national governments and political institutions
- Promote the election of certain candidates or the interests of certain groups
- Plan campaign strategies, coordinate campaign staffs, and arrange meetings to publicize candidates or causes
Other Job Titles
Political Advisors are also known by other titles, including:
- Contract Specialists
- Political Consultants
- Policy Analysts
- Campaign Managers
Education, Training, and Experience
Education and Training
Employers look for at least a bachelor’s degree in political science or business. A graduate degree is sometimes preferred, and education in contractual law can be helpful. Most political advisors need an educational background in public speaking, writing, research, business, and communications as well.
Volunteer work for local politicians or interest groups will give you experience and helpful contacts. A master’s degree in government or public administration may be supplemented by part-time work on a campaign staff or in a legislator’s local office. Volunteer and part-time work during school and college will be a good springboard for finding full-time employment. Jobs in the personnel and public relations divisions of companies may lead to corporate positions.
The median annual salary for a Political Advisor is $73,000. Starting salaries range from $26,000 to $31,000 per year. Average political advisor salaries can vary greatly due to company, location, industry, experience and benefits.
- 2006-2016 Employment growth: N/A
- Number of new jobs created 2006-2016: N/A
- Employment 2006 : N/A
- Employment 2016: N/A
- No Entries Found
- Walden University
Bachelor of Science in Poli Sci and Public Admin - Global Issues and Social Justice
- Brescia University
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science