This course is an introduction to the development of an appreciation of art. Special emphasis is placed on methods, techniques, and terminology that relate to art as well as artists, cultures, and art movements throughout history.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Discuss artwork from various time periods, movements, styles, and artists throughout history.
- Identify and differentiate various forms and characteristics of artwork in relation to specific media, processes, design elements and concepts.
- Compare and contrast artwork from different cultures and artists.
- Formulate and defend an aesthetic sensibility for beauty as it relates to the appreciation of what is defined as art.
- Explain processes involved in creating artwork
- Differentiate artwork from different cultures and time periods based on stylistic or cultural similarities and/or characteristics of a particular geographic region.
- Identify important artists and architects throughout history and explain the underlying meaning in the artwork of these artists.
- Describe and evaluate works of art using art related terminology and the visual principles of design.