Is an Online Nursing Degree the Right Choice for Me?
After figuring out what field to pursue a degree in, many people ask themselves the same question, “how do I know if this is the right choice for me?” If you have any of the following qualities, and you are willing to work hard, then you should consider a nursing degree.
- Compassion: You must be a compassionate person and want to help others. People who have their nursing degrees know how to be kindhearted.
- Leadership skills: To be a successful nurse, you must be able to lead groups of people and motivate them to work hard. People with their online nursing degrees understand and appreciate what each individual brings to the table, and set positive examples that others want to emulate. To see if you have what it takes to be a good leader, take the Leadership Assessment at Mindtools.com.
- Communication Skills: You have to be able to communicate effectively and efficiently to be successful in nursing. This includes being able to get your point across orally and in writing. By getting your nursing degree, you will learn to be a good communicator. You must also be a good listener in order to effectively communicate with your co-workers and patients.
- Emotionally Strong: You can handle traumatic situations, such as the death of a patient, without letting it get to you.
- Reliablity: People have to believe that you will always get the job done. People who are flighty are seen as irresponsible, and therefore will not last long in a nursing environment. By getting your nursing degree, you will learn what it takes to be reliable.
- Physical and Mental Fitness: You are in good shape both mentally and physically and have great physical stamina. People with their online nursing degrees learn that this is extremely important to be a successful nurse.
- Open to Change: You have to be able to work in a fast paced environment with little downtime, otherwise you will not last long in a nursing environment.
- Integrity: A successful nurse always makes responsible decisions based on sound ethics. The classes you will take while getting your online nursing degree will teach you about ethics in a medical environment.
- Knowledge: You must possess a thorough knowledge of nursing. Being intellectual fosters creativity and helps you relate to your patients. People who have their online nursing degrees know the ins and outs of the nursing field.
- Problem-solving skills: You have to be able to work well under pressure and come up with solutions to complicated problems. Being proactive is also important; thinking of solutions to problems before they occur is an essential skill. People who have their nursing degrees know how to be good problem-solvers.
While these are certainly not all of the characteristics of a good nurse, they are some of the most important. You may not have all of these traits right now, but if you choose to pursue an online nursing degree you will learn them.