New England Conservatory
About New England Conservatory School of Continuing Education (SCE) Online
Since its founding in 1867, New England Conservatory (NEC) has been committed to educating and training musicians of all ages from around the world. Located in Boston, NEC has played a major role in the musical culture of its city, the nation and the world. Online education is designed to foster a dynamic learning environment that delivers NEC’s unique pedagogy methods and theories to students’ fingertips around the world. Online certificates present an accessible learning format that allows students to customize their academic schedule, creating a flawless transfer of knowledge from professional to student.
Why Choose the New England Conservatory SCE Online?
New England Conservatory’s School of Continuing Education Online (SCE) delivers a quality certificate that is rooted in tradition straight to your fingertips:
- Leadership: NEC is committed to fostering a global culture rich in music through its unique learning environment. NEC understands that music is one of the transcendent expressions of human civilization and aspires to ensure it is central in today’s society, both locally and globally.
- Degree prestige and value: Since 1867, students have enrolled in NEC to receive a well-rounded education founded in music in an environment that is dedicated to inculcating the highest standards of excellence and nurturing individual artistic sensibility and creative growth. Students have the opportunity to study a broad spectrum of musical specializations to improve technique, musicality and instrumental and vocal proficiency. NEC’s School of Continuing Education Online now offers distance learners the opportunity to earn a Skills Certificate, Certificate of Merit or a Professional Studies Certificate to enhance their musical repertoire and skill level.
- NEC alumni fill orchestra chairs, concert halls, opera house stages, jazz clubs, recording studios and arts management positions worldwide. NEC alumni have been recognized with Grammy awards, the Rome Prize and other fellowships along with prizes in numerous international competitions, including the Fischoff, Naumburg, Queen Elisabeth, Tchaikovsky and Young Concert Artists.
- Flexible schedules: NEC’s School of Continuing Education designs its curriculum to accommodate busy, nontraditional students who want an alternative way to expand their education experience.
- Students can complete NEC’s School of Continuing Education Skills Certificate (five courses) in one year or choose a two-year track designed to increase program flexibility.
- Students can complete the Certificate of Merit (10-12 courses) in one year with full-time enrollment (minimum of 12 credits per semester). Students can also choose a three-year track for added flexibility.
- The Professional Studies Certificate is a full-time two-year program (20-24 courses) aimed to prepare students with a well-rounded musical background. Students can also choose a five-year track for added flexibility.
- Students may enroll in any of NEC’s School of Continuing Education Online courses without applying for a Skills Certificate, Certificate of Merit or Professional Studies Certificate.
- Knowledge excellence: NEC’s School of Continuing Education Online instructors comprise current and former Boston Symphony Orchestra members, other senior NEC faculty members, working jazz artists and many other highly qualified professionals. These expert musicians have an expressed passion for teaching students of all levels and abilities.
- Financial aid: NEC’s School of Continuing Education Online accepts all direct-to-consumer loans. As of this time, we are currently unable to accept federal student loans for financing your education.
- Convenience and flexibility: NEC’s School of Continuing Education Online certificate programs and courses are designed for you to complete according to your schedule. You can earn certificates in as little as one year. NEC’s School of Continuing Education Online makes the resources of one of the world’s leading music institutions available to everyone. SCE offers serious, satisfying music study to the adult learner, from private instrument lessons to full certificate programs. Students can earn credits, study for pure pleasure or professional development. Students will find classes in a range of subjects, workshops, master classes and private instruction that are taught by over 100 of the area’s most highly qualified musicians; not to mention a community of music lovers.
Enjoy the Online Experience at NEC’s School of Continuing Education
Online education is growing in higher education markets across the country as an accessible way to enhance professionals’ education and qualifications. Distance learners enjoy the convenience that an online certificate provides and often thrive in the interactive environment.
NEC’s School of Continuing Education Online certificate programs and courses provide a virtual setting for students to engage with instructors and enhance their talents to become more well-rounded musicians.
New England Conservatory is authorized by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to grant degrees and certificates and is accredited by both the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) and the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM), of which it is a founding member.
290 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115
Average Cost per Credit
1 Credit: $600/$425 non-credit| 1.5 Credits: $900/$640 non-credit| 2 Credits: $1200/$850 non-credit | 3 Credits: $1800/$1275 non-credit
New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
Online and on-campus (blended)
Private not-for-profit- 4-year or above